Friday, November 5, 2010

Don't Reinvent The Wheel

In our house, at the end of dinner we vote whether or not dinner was a "keeper".  This allows the children a vote and keeps them actively involved in the planning/cooking part of dinner.  Over time, our "keepers" keep coming from the same sources. 
For years I have subscribed to Bon Appetit magazine.  I credit their recipes and seasonal issues with most of my kitchen knowledge.  My favorite column in the magazine is Fast, Easy, Fresh-formerly, 30 Minute Main Courses- you can see the attraction.  So naturally I was thrilled when Bon Appetit compiled all these recipes into one cookbook.  I LOVE THIS COOKBOOK!  Most of the recipes have short ingredient lists, use fresh veggies and spices without unrealistically labor intensive prepping.  These are our weeknight meals.  My family loves the curries, roast chickens, red bell pepper pestos and soups.

Another go-to for recipes is Clean Food.  My husband bought this for me during a Lenten pledge to eat better and we found that it was easy and tasty to use wholesome-healthier alternatives.  I make a batch of Maple Nut Granola at least every two weeks and change it up with whatever nuts and dried fruits that are in the pantry.

And lastly, for basic reference material and classic recipes, The Joy of Cooking.  The beginning of each chapter has a column that details the basic properties of the item in that chapter- how to purchase, different cooking methods and tips for preparation.  I love the Pumpkin Pie, Sugar Cookies and Pesto Cheesecake from this book.

Over the next few weeks, I will be sharing some of my adaptations of these recipes and how to plan a menu around them.  Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment